Personalized Plate Regulations
- Plates are issued on a first come, first serve basis. Selections will not be held without
paperwork being submitted. Vehicle must be registered in Louisiana prior to performing inquiry.
- Please be advised, the plate requested may indicate that it is available; however, until you receive an official confirmation from OMV the plate may not be available for purchase. Someone may have requested it prior to the submission of this request.
- Upon the acceptance of the personalized plate selection, it will be held for two weeks to allow time for your paperwork to be received.
- Personalized plates can be issued to automobiles, trucks up to 10,000 lbs., private buses (motor
homes), and motorcycles.
- While every attempt is made to inform you of acceptable possibilities, certain combinations
may not be deemed acceptable by the Office of Motor Vehicles. Once
your application has been received, a committee will review your request
and you will be notified of the decision.
- Patented logos cannot be issued on a personalized plate.
- You may not substitute a number 1 for a letter I or a letter O for a zero on a personalized plate.
|What you can request on a personalized license plate:
||What you cannot request on a personalized license plate:
|Letters A to Z (must have at least two letters)
||Amateur radio call signs
|Numbers 0 to 9
||3 letters followed by 3 numbers or
3 numbers followed by 3 letters
|Spaces (count as 1 space on plate) half spaces may be included on a personalized plate but two would be equivalent to one space
||Special symbols such as #, @, %, &, etc.
|Periods (count as 1 space on plate)
||Duplicate of active personalized plates
|Hyphens (count as 1 space on plate)
||No more than 7 letters and/or numbers
|Only 6 letters and/or numbers on a motorcycle or handicap personalized plate
||Ethnic, racial, vulgar, or indecent connotations which may be
offensive to good taste and decency
| ||A patented logo|
| ||The number one substituted for the letter I or the number zero for the letter O|
Personalized Plate Costs
$25 per year in addition
to the regular registration fee. A one-time $3.50 administrative
fee and $8.00 handling fee will also be due. Credit will be
given for the unused portion of the plate shown on your current registration
certificate. Call the Title Registration Unit at (225) 925-6371.